Thanks for registering! Below is more information on the WFR Open Recertification course.
Detailed locations adjust with the season and weather, and will be emailed out before class starts.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Welcome to the Open Wilderness First Responder Recertification Course. This course involves pre-course work with 2 days in person. This course is designed to provide an opportunity to review and refresh your wilderness medical skills. By the end of 2 days, you will be expected to have a solid understanding of the wilderness protocols and to demonstrate patient care at the WFR level. 8 days’ worth of knowledge can not be crammed into 2 days, thus it’s imperative that students complete their pre-course work and come prepared. Your success is directly correlated to your focused efforts before and during class.
The course begins promptly at 8:00 am with an approximate end time of 6:00 pm every day (including the last day). However, our actual wrap-up time depends on a number of variables
100% attendance is required. Students should be 18 years or older and are expected to participate in all practical skills sessions (see Functional Position Statement).
REQUIRED PRE-COURSE WORK
All students must do the pre-course work assignments on Moodle (the online course platform). You will receive a custom link and login information as the course gets closer.
** PLEASE NOTE** You will be receiving a new textbook on the first day of class. If you no longer have your old textbook or were previously certified through someone other than WMA you will have access to a digital version of the textbook once you log into Moodle.
WHAT TO BRING
- Camping-style clothing that can get a little dirty
- Layers for weather any time of year
- Close-toed shoes for drills
- One set of throw-away clothes that can be ripped mangled and destroyed during drills
- Watch with the ability to read seconds for assessing vitals
- Notepaper and pen
- Food water and snacks for the day
- Camp chair
CLICK HERE for a resource guide
All cancelations and refunds will be handled on a case-by-case basis. In general
- 30 days or more prior to Day 1 of your course: Cancellations or transfer requests will be subject to a $75 processing fee, per registration.
- 15 days to 30 days prior to Day 1: 50% tuition refund or transfer credit. Transfer credits must be used within 12 months of the original course.
- 14 days or less prior to Day 1 (or no-show): No refund available*
- *If you are able to find another person to fill your space, you will qualify for a refund less the $75 processing fee.
- On the rare occasion where a Gut-Z Journey cancels a course (low enrollment, scheduling conflicts) you will qualify for a full refund or transfer at no additional cost.
WEMT & CEU CREDIT
If you need CAPCE-approved continuing education units you will need to print, fill out and bring the CAPCE form
Please email Natalie at firstname.lastname@example.org