Endurance Apple Cinnamon Gummy Bears
I can’t get enough of these tasty little guys. They are tasty on the trail, keep me going for miles, are easy to make and good for my gut!
- Electrolytes and minerals (in the Celtic sea salt) to replenish what you are sweating out, prevent muscle cramps and increase water hydration
- A small amount of sugar to provide glucose during for high intensity outputs
- Protein rich (from grass fed beef gelatin) helps endurance and recovery
- Collagen rich gelatin supports joint, skin and hair health AND is soothing to gut lining!
see the gummy bears, other trail snacks and a hail storm in action
1¼ unfiltered apple juice
¼ cup grass fed gelatin
1tbsp organic sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients in small pot and cook on medium heat.
- Stir frequently (about every 30 sec) until the mixture is just boiling.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour into molds, (A dropper makes this job much easier). Keeping molds on a baking sheet will make them easier to move later. I used these but any candy mold will do
- Put molds into fridge to set.
- Once set, pull the gummies from the mold (Putting them in the freezer briefly can make this easier).
- Enjoy these energy and electrolyte filled gummy bears on your next hike. Keep them refrigerated for storage off the trail, and try to use within a week or two.[i]
[i] This recipe was adapted from anyaseats.com
About the Author:
Natalie Brechtel loves food, mountains, rock climbing, and the Lord of the Rings. She owns her own Nutritional Therapy practice where she helps other outdoor lovers prepare for the trail or recover from digestive challenges. She teaches around the country as a lead instructor for Wilderness Medical Associates. She also works as a professional Mountain Guide in California’s Sierra Nevada, Washington Cascades and abroad. She’s spent over a year in Antarctica, climbed big walls in Chile and carried many heavy backpacks for long distances. At only 5 feet tall she knows what it takes to push your physical limits. Natalie likes to share her passions and knowledge for wild places, empowering others to get outside with all the skills and fuel to have an amazing time, safely. Learn more at gutzjourney.com